Friday 20 May 2016


The 20-year-old wanted to leave Old Trafford during the January window but was talked into staying with the promise of first-team football - an opportunity he has barely had
EXCLUSIVE
Manchester United midfielder Andreas Pereira has claimed that manager Louis van Gaal broke a promise to him in January as he was persuaded to remain at the club under the pretence that he would be given more regular action.

The Belgian-born player has only played 80 Premier League minutes this term and has confessed that being overlooked by Van Gaal has been a frustrating experience.

"I wanted to be loaned out in January in order to play more and to keep developing myself, but Van Gaal told me that he did not want me to be loaned out. He told me to stay in Manchester because he would use me and that I would play," the 20-year-old told Goal.

"I told him that was fine, and that if I could stay and play then I would. He did not let me leave. I took the decision and now I'm training, doing my job and waiting for him to fulfil his word.

"Of course I expected to play more. I think that I deserved the chance. I did well in the games that I had the opportunity to play, but football can be like that.

"My manager has not given me this opportunity yet and I will keep working hard, waiting for the chances. If they've not come this year, then maybe the next, but I'll be ready. I'm very calm because everyone sees that I'm playing well and that I deserve my shot."

Brazil Under-23 international Pereira reserved praise for Sir Alex Ferguson, who signed him in 2011, and believes it was always going to be tough for his successor, with first David Moyes and now Van Gaal struggling to meet expectations.

"Ferguson was an outstanding manager," Pereira explained. "The respect he had in the club was extraordinary. Everywhere he went in the club, you could feel the respect for him. And he is very humble, honest and a good person.

"He greeted everyone and it was funny because wherever he went, everyone was quiet and you felt that he had that very large presence. I never forgot this, and that's why I think that is difficult for any coach, not only Van Gaal or Moyes, but anyone, to make a difference after a coach like Ferguson.

"For me, he was the best coach in the world. To stay almost 30 years at a club is very rare, so it's almost impossible for another coach to arrive and to do the same as him, or to do it better. But this pressure will always exist."

No comments: