Friday 5 August 2016

Rio Ferdinand hopes to manage England in near future.


Former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand wants to be part of Sam Allardyce’s new England set-up and has set his sights on becoming the manager in the future.

Ferdinand, who won 81 England caps during his career, spoke to FA chief executive Martin Glenn before Allardyce’s appointment to offer his services to the next Three Lions boss.

The BT pundit believes that the FA should start grooming a new coach now to take over from ‘Big Sam’ when a replacement is needed in the future.

“I have spoken to Martin Glenn, he knows my feelings completely. I’ve been quite open about how I feel and that I’d love to be involved with England at some stage whether it’s now or in the future,” said the 37-year-old.

“I would be interested in that role, yes.

“I do think that it’s about preparing someone to come into that role at some point rather than being reactive all the time.”

Despite no contact from Allardyce, Ferdinand has wished the former West Ham and Newcastle boss all the best.

“I wish Sam good luck. He’s not been in touch with me, that’s his own personal choice. He’s going to go with people he’s going to feel comfortable with.

“I do believe that there should be planning in place of bringing the next England manager through.”

No comments: